The Football Association condemned the racist abuse targeting England players Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka after Sunday’s loss in the Euro 2020 final to Italy.
All three missed penalties in the 3-2 shootout loss and were targeted on social media after the game.
Metropolitan police investigated the abuse and said “it will not be tolerated”.
The FA said it was “appalled” by the abuse.
The English players got down on their knees before the Euro matches to highlight the fight against racial inequalities.
“We couldn’t be clearer that anyone behind such disgusting behavior is unwelcome to follow the team,” the FA said in a statement.
“We will do everything possible to support the players concerned while demanding the most severe penalties possible for anyone responsible.
“We will continue to do all we can to eliminate discrimination, but we urge the government to act quickly and pass the appropriate legislation so that this abuse has real consequences.
“Social media companies must step up their efforts and take action to ban attackers from their platforms, collect evidence that could lead to prosecution and support the release of their platforms from this kind of heinous abuse.”
Rashford highlighted the racial abuse he received on social media in May after losing the Europa League final with Manchester United.
And last year, Sancho was among Sports stars protest racism following the murder of George Floyd by a police officer in Minneapolis.
Social media companies have come under fire for a perceived lack of action against racist abuse on their platforms, and in April, Instagram announced a tool to allow users to automatically filter abusive posts from those they don’t follow.
Following extensive online abuse, several clubs, players, athletes and sports bodies have participated in a four-day social media boycott in April to encourage businesses to take a stronger stand against racist and gender-based abuse.