Police release images of 10 men wanted for Euro 2020 final unrest at Wembley | UK News

Police released images of 10 men wanted for violence and disorder in the Euro 2020 final.

After two men were arrested earlier on Saturday for allegedly allowing people without tickets to enter Wembley Stadium in last Sunday’s final, Metropolitan Police released the footage and a call for help to identify fans “who we think have questions to answer.”

The hosting of the match in London last Sunday saw ugly scenes, among which ticketless fans stormed Wembley Stadium in an attempt to watch the game between England and Italy.

The Metropolitan said in a statement on Saturday that after the match, “officers began the painstaking process of reviewing hundreds of hours of CCTV and video content focused on the body at Wembley Stadium and other key locations “.

“The meticulous investigation will continue to identify other persons of interest or even other offenses that may have occurred,” Metropolitan Police said.
“This investigation is still in its early stages and further appeals and arrests will follow. “

Earlier on Saturday, Metropolitan Police said two 18-year-old men, one from Ilford, east London, and the other from Newham, north-east London, had been released under investigation as the investigation continued.

The Met said they were detained “on suspicion of theft following allegations that they took and shared items, in an attempt to allow people to gain unauthorized access to the stadium. Wembley during the Euro 2020 final “.

The nature of the items allegedly stolen remained uncertain.

Fifty-one people have been arrested this week across the capital, including 26 detained at Wembley.

Due to Covid measures, there were 30,000 empty seats at the stadium for England’s most important football game since 1966. This week, Met Assistant Deputy Commissioner Jane Connors dismissed claims that the police operation had failed.

A fan told The Guardian that they made several attempts to secure a legitimate ticket as they didn’t want to miss out on a potential unique opportunity to see England make it to a major tournament final.

“We didn’t sit in nobody’s place,” he said, referring to the large number of unoccupied seats. “We didn’t hurt anyone. The people causing trouble were the ones fighting the ticketless fans. “

But disabled fans expressed terror of being caught up in Sunday’s unrest, after ticketless fans admitted to targeting disabled entrances.

A spokesperson for the Football Association said a full investigation would be carried out in conjunction with the police. “The safety and stewardship figures for the final exceeded the requirements of the match and were higher than any previous event at Wembley Stadium,” they said.

Former Met Assistant Deputy Commissioner Andy Trotter said on Saturday the behavior seen at Wembley was “disgusting”.

“When you read the stories… there is a whole catalog of problems that need to be resolved,” he told Times Radio. “I think just pinning it on the police is a bit simplistic because it is clear that there have been failures everywhere.

“[But] I am not trying to defend anyone here because it was a terrible, terrible event and a real stain on the reputation of our country.

Trotter said features of the game, such as the 8 p.m. kick-off time on a Sunday, allowed fans to drink all day and become “numb”.

“Most football games are played with some degree of drunkenness… but alcohol is a big, big problem,” he said. “These people who performed last Sunday are the same people who perform in every downtown area across the country on a warm Saturday evening.”

As of July 13, 897 football-related incidents and 264 arrests had been recorded across the country in the 24-hour period of the final, according to the UK Football Police Unit. He brought the number of football-related incidents during the tournament to 2,344 and arrests to 630.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *